Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine
04/072018 No. 707
Registered in the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine
23/07/2018 No. 858/32310
of the National Repository of Academic Texts’ work procedure
І. The Common Part
1. This Regulation defines the procedure of the National Repository of Academic Texts’ work procedure (hereinafter – the National Repository), the procedure for filling it with academic texts, their storage, systematization, processing, providing information in open access, interaction with institutional participants and other users, information integration with other databases, in particular, open data resources of Ukraine and other countries, databases of central executive authorities, use of analytical tools.
2. This Regulation shall have the following meanings of terms:
- visitors of the National Repository (hereinafter – visitors) are individuals who have open access to the register of academic texts and the possibility of using information without undergoing a registration (authorization) procedure through the official National Repository web portal;
- open data is information that has no restrictions on disclosure (i.e. does not contain restricted information) and is submitted in a format that enables its automated processing by electronic means, open access to it and further using of it;
- open access is free access to the registry and academic texts which are presented in the National Repository;
- deposited scientific work is scientific work which was deposited into the institutions of the state system of scientific and technical information;
- an online platform for the exchange of scientific publications is one of the elements of scientific and research infrastructure that is a set of instruments and tools which are implemented on the Internet in the form of a social network (interactive website) intended for informal exchange of results of scientific activity, in particular, for their placement, discuss, review, publish, archive, save, providing open access and distribution;
- local repository is an electronic database maintained by an institutional participant and is the part of the National Repository;
- copyright objects are works which are defined by the Law of Ukraine “On copyright and related rights” and protected in accordance with the legislation;
- personal e-cabinet is an individual personalized web page through which the user works with the open data presented in the National Repository;
- copyright infringement is unlawful reproduction, distribution of works of science, computer programs, databases and other acts which are provided for by the Law of Ukraine “On copyright and related rights”;
- right holder is a person whom belongs property rights to an object of intellectual property rights, or a person who is acting on behalf of such person within the granted powers;
- the Academic Text Registry is an electronic database containing information about academic texts (including a complete bibliographic description and abstract) stored in the National Repository, as well as published in paper or electronic form (with reference to the place of storage);
- the National Repository Manager (hereinafter – the Manager) is a legal entity designated by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, which directly ensures the functioning of the National Repository in accordance with the Proclamation on the National Repository of Academic Texts, approved by Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine No. 541 from 19/07/2017, this Regulation and the decisions taken by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine;
- central repository is an electronic database in which academic texts are accumulated, stored and systematized, including a register of academic texts maintained by the Manager and is forming part of the National Repository.
Other terms in this Regulation shall apply to the meanings given in the Laws of Ukraine “On information”, “On scientific and technical information”, “On scientific, scientific and technical activities”, “On higher education”, “On innovative activities”, “On copyright and related rights“, “On electronic documents and electronic document flow“, “On protection of information in information and telecommunication systems“, Proclamation.
3. The National Repository provides open access of the information contained therein to users, in particular, the register of academic texts, as well as their electronic versions and other related data placed on open access terms, through the National Repository official web portal that has domain name nrat.gov.ua.
4. The languages of the National Repository used for its interface are Ukrainian and English.
5. The resources of the National Repository are an auxiliary tool for checking academic texts for matches of textual (alphanumeric and numerical characters) and graphic fragments and for the plagiarism examination, including academic.
6. The purpose of the National Repository is to make the scientific information of Ukraine and the world to the public as accessible as possible, which will contribute to the development of educational, scientific, scientific and technical, innovative activity, by improving access to academic texts and promoting academic integrity.
ІІ. The National Repository Manager
1. The Manager provides:
- functioning of the National Repository;
- the accumulation, storage, systematization, reproduction, publication and dissemination of academic texts and other related data which are published in Ukraine or originating from Ukraine in electronic format provided by the Proclamation and this Regulation of the academic texts;
- monitoring the receipt of academic texts in the National Repository and providing information on the use of its resources;
- forming and making a register of academic texts available to the public;
- software interface for access to the central repository of institutional participants;
- information security and the central repository technical support;
- conditions for organizing academic text checking for the presence of text (alphanumeric and numeric characters) and graphic fragments;
- analytical processing of information;
- information support for the development of education, science and innovation through open access to open data contained in the National Repository;
- the most complete presentation of academic texts provided by institutional participants in the global scientific and educational space;
- information integration with other databases, including open data resources of Ukraine and other countries, databases of central executive bodies;
- support for open science and open access policies and prerequisites to encourage publishers and copyright holders to transmit electronic versions of academic texts and other related data and remove (in part or in full) restrictions on access to the National Repository for users.
2. The Manager is responsible for storing descriptive and bibliographic information, electronic versions of academic texts and other related data transmitted to the Central Repository and for providing access to users in accordance with the institutionalized participant regime.
3. The National Repository is placed on the material and technical base of the Manager and is accessible to visitors and users via the Internet from any place at any time without any restrictions on educational level, specialty, specialization, etc.
4. The National Repository should provide opportunities for:
- comprehensive analysis for academic texts of users’ requests (by topic, authorship, affiliation with higher education and research institutions, implementation, international collaboration, etc.);
- comprehensive evaluation of the academic texts using (including use in theses for obtaining scientific degrees and qualification final works of higher education applicants) – reading, downloading, quoting, user recommendations, in particular, by types, topics, categories, by individual academic texts or their totality, in conjunction with authors, scientific institutions, higher education institutions, etc.; the results of which may be used by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, other interested entities during evaluating the activities of higher education institutions, research institutions, libraries, scientific publishers, organizations;
- building a scientific metric database;
- citation analysis of academic texts;
- systematic analysis of the scientific space and its monitoring transformation;
- checking academic texts for matches of textual (alphanumeric and numeric characters) and graphic fragments;
- compilation of ratings which are characterizing the state and dynamics of the development of scientific, educational, innovative activity in Ukraine and related infrastructure;
- tracking of new arrivals to the National Repository for the presence of matches of text (alphanumeric and numerical symbols) and graphic fragments for the authors or copyright holders of academic texts requests;
- access to the National Repository resources, in particular, the register of academic texts and their electronic versions, special software complexes (robots) for the purpose of indexing and analyzing the metadata of these texts and disseminating relevant information (subject to the limitations of point 5 of Section IV of this Regulation), with obligatory reference at the National Repository official web portal.
ІІІ. Filling, storage, systematization and processing of academic texts in the National Repository
1. The National Repository shall include the academic texts in electronic form that are issued on open data and defined in point 7 of the Proclamation.
2. The central repository houses electronic versions of academic texts published on open access which are subject to state registration in accordance with the legislation (except where the author is not the copyright holder and the copyright owner’s requirements prohibit such placement).
The decision on placement of electronic versions of other academic texts shall be taken by the institutional participant in accordance with the Proclamation, this Regulation and the agreements with the Manager.
3. Institutional participants submit to the Central Repository the bibliographic information required by legislation; descriptions of academic texts, including annotations and references in the academic texts, with reference to the main text, in accordance with the main text in the list determined by the Manager. These data are used for systematization of academic texts, formation of their register, providing search opportunities of the National Repository, conducting analytical work.
4. The technical requirements for the format of submission of academic texts to be included in the National Repository and their verification are determined by the Manager.
Chronological restrictions on academic texts and other related data stored in the National Repository are not established; they include academic texts, regardless of the date of their creation and publication.
5. Academic texts are published in the National Repository only by institutional participants. Placement of academic texts in the National Repository is free of charge.
During submitting academic texts to the National Repository, the date of their submission and information about the source of information are recorded.
6. Publishers and copyright holders have the right to restrict access to the electronic version of academic texts or parts of them in accordance with applicable copyright legislation temporarily or permanently. The electronic versions of academic texts posted in the Central Repository become inaccessible to users of the National Repository in this case and subsequently (until the restrictions are removed) are used solely by the Manager for analytical purposes and in accordance with the Law of Ukraine “On copyright and related rights”.
Some part of academic text may be available publicly in agreement with the publisher, author(s) or copyright holder(s).
Limited access to electronic versions of academic texts may be set for a fixed term, which may not exceed the copyright term.
7. Publications posted by authors on online platforms for the exchange of scientific publications may be submitted to the Central Repository if they meet the requirements established for scientific publications.
8. The content of academic texts published in the National Repository may be modified by supplementing with additional information (information on typographical errors, inaccuracies, statements and explanations of methodological nature, research databases, etc.). Academic texts may be withdrawn from the National Repository.
Any change of the academic text, its descriptive information in the register or its revocation shall be recorded by an appropriate mark on the date and reason for the change.
9. The terms for the transfer of academic texts to the National Repository, as well as bibliographic data, descriptions and other related data are determined by the Manager. The date of receipt of the academic text to the National Repository is fixed and should be accessible to all users.
ІV. Procedure for using the National Repository
1. The National Repository visitors:
- receive open access to general information about the National Repository, guidance materials and other general information (working conditions, structure and content, statistics on repository resources, number of visitors and users, data on references to the academic texts, information on institutional participants and official partners, etc.);
- get free access to the register of academic texts presented in the National Repository;
- can search for academic texts and other related data; create a list of academic texts stored in the National Repository by individually selected criteria, refine, sort and store it on electronic devices/media;
- can get acquainted with a set of questions and answers formed by the results of communication with visitors and users of the National Repository, contact the National Repository technical support.
2. The National Repository users receive additional features available to visitors:
- open access to electronic versions of academic texts, ability to read, save its on electronic devices/media and in a personal e-cabinet;
- the ability to perform a detailed search of academic texts by an additional set of features/criteria and save its results on electronic devices/media and in a personal e-cabinet;
- individual notification according to a free of charge subscription on updating/receiving academic texts;
- access to additional functionality of the National Repository in the form of specially developed analytical and other tools for working with academic texts and other related data;
- ability to check for the presence of matches of text (alphanumeric characters) and graphic fragments;
- access to other services in accordance with legislation.
3. Users go through the registration process at the National Repository, which confirms compliance with the established rules and this Regulation.
4. Institutional participants, visitors, users, official partners and others use the public repository networks or special telecommunication networks during the work with the National Repository.
The institutional participant is responsible for organizing access to his/her personal e-cabinet by persons authorized by him/her.
The protection of information in local repositories is carried out by institutional participants in accordance with the legislation.
5. In order to protect the National Repository from making unauthorized full copies, its software must prevent unauthorized external copying of the full content or large parts of the National Repository.
6. The National Repository resources cannot be used by the Manager to issue any documents on the absence (presence) of plagiarism in academic texts.
7. A special advisory body may be set up by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine to ensure effective interaction with scientists, educators, publishers, librarians, information and telecommunication specialists, members of the public, as well as for ensure the development and modernization of the National Repository.